Group threads are an awesome way to communicate with your friends or share stories and pics with the family, and illumy makes it crazy-easy to start a group thread—even with external email addresses.
in a browser
- Click the Compose Message button that appears just under your name and email address, at the top of the left panel.
- Enter recipients in the To field. Separate multiple recipients with a comma. When you enter more than one illumy member or external email address, the Subject line changes to “Group Name” automatically.
- Name that thread! Group threads require a title, and besides—it’s much easier to locate that group thread when you give it a descriptive name, like “Work Friends” or “Class of 2019.”
- Start typing in the message field. Don’t forget: You can use text, attach photos or files, find the perfect giphys, and include emojis to spice up your conversation.
- Click “Send” in the lower right to start the conversation.
group thread options
Right now, these options are only available to illumy members using a supported web browser. But they’ll be part of our mobile app very soon.
- To add someone to a group you’ve already created, click the Add Member icon (silhouette of a person with a plus sign) in the upper right of the group thread window (center panel).
- To give the group an avatar, click the Settings icon (gear/cog). Click “Add a Photo,” and choose an image from your computer that fits the vibe of the group.
- As the person who starts the group thread, you are the group owner. That gives you some additional group options that are pretty cool (don’t let all that power go to your head). You can control whether:
- Group members can post messages.
- Members can add users.
- Members can change the avatar.
- Members can change the group name.
- Members can remove other group members.
If a group is no longer needed, you can quickly delete it, forever. Just click the Settings icon in the top right of the group thread. In the pop-up window, click the Delete icon (trash can). Click “Confirm” in the confirmation window or “Cancel” if you change your mind. Note: Only Owners have this power.
in the mobile app
- Tap the Messaging icon in the icon tray at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the plus sign (+) icon in the upper right corner to start a new group thread.
- Enter recipients in the To field. Separate multiple recipients with a comma. Note: On Android, when you enter more than one illumy member or external email address, the Subject line changes to “Group Name” automatically.
- Name that thread by entering a title in the subject line/group name field. Be descriptive so you can easily find the thread in the Messaging list.
- Tap the Send icon in the lower right corner. It’s a white paper airplane in a purple square.
It’s that simple. Now, go on! Start a group thread, and express yourself to the world (or just your peeps).